Joburg Film Festival Partners with Absa Group, Unveils Diverse Lineup for 2024 Event
The anticipation builds as the 2024 edition of the Joburg Film Festival approaches, with organizers and partner MultiChoice revealing a lineup of over 60 titles set to grace the screens of Johannesburg.
This year’s festival, scheduled to run from Feb. 27 to March 3, promises a diverse array of films from both local and international creators, set against the vibrant backdrop of Johannesburg.
Highlighting thought-provoking documentaries, gripping dramas, and inspiring narratives, the Joburg Film Festival aims to captivate audiences with its dynamic selection of cinematic gems. The lineup includes films from over 30 countries, celebrating the power of storytelling and the richness of the human experience.
Among the standout selections in the 2024 lineup are:
- PERFECT DAYS: A 2024 Oscar Best International Feature finalist directed by Wim Wenders, portraying the meditative journey of a Tokyo toilet cleaner, revealing his past through unexpected encounters.
- EVIL DOES NOT EXIST: The 2023 Venice Festival-winning film depicting the disruption of a single parent’s simple life in the forest by the construction of a glamping site.
- MAMI WATA: A visually stunning black and white fantasy thriller co-produced by Nigeria, France, and the United Kingdom, directed by CJ Obasi, offering a poetic exploration of villagers worshiping the mermaid deity Mami Wata.
- UNDER THE HANGING TREE: A 2024 Oscars entry from Namibia, centered around a troubled police officer battling to solve a horrific murder in the stark desert landscape of the Kalahari.
- SNAKE: A tale of a luminous stranger’s arrival on a farm, bringing darkness and challenging a family’s unity.
- LIFE THROUGH HIS LENS: SAM NZIMA: A documentary paying tribute to the renowned photojournalist Sam Nzima, offering a profound insight into his life.
- BYE BYE TIBERIAS: An insightful coming-of-age documentary following a young native Palestinian’s journey to becoming an actress.
- YELLOW BUS: Set in four different countries, this movie explores the trials of a young mother battling with a bus company determined to keep a tragic truth hidden.
- TIGER STRIPES: Grand Prize winner in Critics Weeks at Cannes 2023, a coming-of-age werewolf movie following an 11-year-old girl discovering a terrifying secret about her body.
- UMKHONTO WESIZWE – MANDELA’S SECRET ARMY: A documentary chronicling the lives of former uMkhonto we Sizwe (MK) members, reflecting on their sacrifices for the dream of a free South Africa.
The festival will host local and international film stars, producers, and directors, with opportunities for Q&A sessions after select screenings. Additionally, daily red-carpet premieres and meet-and-greet sessions with filmmakers and cast members will add to the festival’s allure.
In a significant development, multinational banking institute ABSA joins the festivities as a key partner, aligning with the festival’s commitment to storytelling and positive societal impact.
Candice Thurston, ABSA’s Managing Executive for Brand and Marketing, expressed excitement about the partnership, stating, “Empowering Africa’s tomorrow, together, one story at a time is at the heart of Absa’s purpose, and our support for this premium gathering of filmmakers is the perfect expression of this commitment.”
Tickets for the Joburg Film Festival became available for purchase yesterday, Friday, Feb. 9 on Quicket, South Africa’s premier online ticketing platform.
As the countdown begins, cinephiles can look forward to an enriching cinematic experience, blending storytelling and cultural diversity on the big screen.